Parish Journal & Calendars
Early Ballingarry History
Parish School History
Famine Warhouse 1848 Heritage Site
2004 Official State Opening
Annual Famine Warhouse Walk
1848 and the Daily Irish Flag Raising Ceremony
1848 Rebellion and the Young Irelanders
Nine Fine Irishmen - Las Vegas
Civil Survey, 1850
20th Century History
Coal Mining Heritage
Census of Population
Local Family Names
Slieveardagh Tourist Trail
Famine Warhouse 1848 - Official Opening 2004
"This house is an important historic monument, and is part of our national heritage. Accordingly, in this the 150th anniversary of the 1848 Rising, the State seeks to purchase the house and a small amount of the surrounding land. It would be our wish that the house would be refurbished and made the site of a permanent exhibition commemorating Young Ireland and the events of the Famine Rebellion of 1848 in this area." Taoiseach Bertie Ahearne, Commemorative Speech, 1998
The Office of Public Works officially opened the Famine Warhouse 1848 on Wednesday, 21 July 2004 at 3 pm. This was the location of William Smith O'Brien's Rising in 1848. The house which belonged to the McCormack family has always been known locally as the Warhouse. The official State name for the house is now 'Famine Warhouse 1848'.
The permanent historical exhibition in the house by the historian Dr Thomas McGrath places the Rising and the history of the Young Irelanders in the context of the Great Famine and 1848 as Europe's year of Revolutions from France to Hungary.
The trial and penal exile of O'Brien, Thomas Francis Meagher and the others in Van Diemen's Land (Tasmania) and the subsequent escapes of some of them to the United States of America where they became leaders of the Famine Irish in exile are all covered in a wide-ranging exhibition. The official opening was carried out by Mr Tom Parlon, T.D., Minister of State at the Department of Finance with special responsibility for the Office of Public Works.
Speech by Dr Thomas McGrath
Speech by Senator Martin Mansergh
Speech by The O’Brien (Lord Inchiquin)
Speech by Minister Tom Parlon, T.D., Office of Public Works
L to R: Brian O'Brien, The O'Brien of Thomond (Lord Inchiquin); Martin Maher, chairman 1848 Committee, Dr. Tom McGrath, TCD, Mr Tom Parlon, Minister of State at the Department of Finance with responsibility for the Office of Public Works; Clare McGrath, OPW Commissioner; Senator Martin Mansergh; Mattie McGrath, Chairman South Tipperary County Council; and John McMahon, Project Head OPW.
Dr Tom McGrath showing Tom Parlon, Minister of State at the Department of Finance with responsibility for the Office of Public Works, around the Famine Warhouse in Ballingarry. Also included in the photograph are Clare McGrath, OPW Commissioner, and The O'Brien of Thomond (Lord Inchiquin).